Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Banana Bread Pancakes!

So, to celebrate Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras/Shrove Tuesday, I felt compelled to participate in the "Pancake Day" portion of the festivities! No, I'm not giving up anything for Lent, so I'm not really "fattening up" for the season, but since I've a) just learned it was Pancake Day today and b) been eyeballing this recipe for a couple weeks now, I just felt the timing was right! Sadly, I will not be participating in any English pancake day races....


Saw this banana bread pancake recipe on pinterest, pinned it, made it a few days later, and now my tummy is super happy tonight! Don't ya just love technology!?!

On the "bucket list" is purchasing a nice camera and learning how to take fancy shmancy shots, particularly of food and my baked goods. Until now, you'll have to deal with this! =o)

Banana Bread Pancakes
makes 12 pancakes (I just halved this and got exactly 6, measuring out 1/3 cup for each pancake)
  • 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I used half all purpose, half whole wheat flour)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extra
  • 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted (I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light)
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Measure out the milk and add the vanilla extract to it. Whisk together the dry ingredients and add in milk and vanilla, stirring to combine. The mixture will still be dry. Add in mashed bananas and mix. Add in melted butter and stir until batter is somewhat smooth. Batter will seem very thick!

Heat a skillet or grilled on medium heat. Using a 1/3 cup measure, spoon batter into rounds and cook until bubbles form on top – about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for a minute or two more. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot with butter and syrup, or the vanilla maple glaze.

Note: Two cups of regular all purpose flour should be just fine. I'm not sure if I've ever seen pastry flour in the store.

I didn't use this glaze (just used Wegmans lite syrup, a tablespoon of powdered sugar, and spray butter), but it sounds delightful!

Vanilla Maple Glaze
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth. Pour over pancakes. 

A perfect way to start the day! Or for dinner, in my case. I imagine smothering it in heaps of peanut butter would be ridiculously awesome as well! And it won't completely set you back on the calories- especially if you do some substituting out for the calories (i.e., applesauce for butter...)

Nutritional Facts
Serving Size 1 pancake (when batter makes 12 pancakes, 1/3 cup of batter)

Calories 151
Total Fat 1.3g
Saturated Fat 0.3g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 22mg
Total Carbs 31.1g
Dietary Fiber 2.8g
Sugars 10.7g
Protein 3.6g

I drove past a bulletin board in front of a church tonight that said they were having a pancake dinner tonight! Ha!

Happy Pancakin'! 
@--,--
 

No comments:

Post a Comment